While the temps in the South are still in the high 80’s and 90’s, that doesn’t mean Fall isn’t on my mind daily. I start dreaming of cooler weather as soon as May rolls around. I was definitely born to live in the PNW and wear flannels and leggings year round. When cooler temps roll in, our family definitely spends more time outdoors. I start counting down to Fall August 1 even though realistically it stays warm here until October. Today I want to share with you my favorite Fall traditions that we’ve been doing for the past 5 years!
1. Weekend Mountain Getaway – I have always been more of a mountain girl than a beach girl (hence why I love Fall so much). Living in Atlanta, there are tons of great spots within driving distance to some beautiful cabins. Sitting on a porch swing in the chilly morning air before everyone wakes up is my idea of Heaven on Earth.
2. Fall Festivals – There is no shortage of carnivals and festivals near us. We love going to eat yummy food, ride ridiculously over priced rides, and check out the crafts from local vendors. There isn’t anything quite like eating funnel cake on a ferris wheel at sunset.
3. Apple Picking – The North Georgia mountains are full of amazing apple orchards and the drive is incredibly beautiful. Rolling the windows down and breathing in the cool, crisp air is one of the things I wait for every year. There is also no shortage of apple based foods to indulge in. Spiced Apple Cider donuts are my all time favorite.
4. Pumpkin Patch – Since Henry was 3 months old we’ve been going to the same pumpkin patch every year. It is definitely my favorite tradition (besides visiting Santa). They have hay rides, apple cider, donuts, and acres and acres of pumpkins. Pink ones, blue ones, white ones, Cinderella pumpkins … you name it, they have it. The kids love picking out their own to decorate at home.
5. Football is HUGE in the South. I’m talking every Sunday it’s nonstop from morning until night. Tailgating has definitely changed for us since we had kids. My husband and I used to love to tailgate at the stadium before football games but our Sundays look a tad different lately. Just because we have two young children doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy tailgating, we just have to adjust how and where we do it. Going to a local park or the mountains and having a family friendly tailgate with some games and food is the perfect way to enjoy football with the kids.
To facilitate our tailgates, I always take advantage of online shopping. It is definitely my favorite service available to help busy moms. Our nearest Walmart is a bit far away and even though I love their ship to store option, it isn’t always in the cards for me. I also have two kids who love to act their worst in stores. Luckily, Walmart has an amazing free 2 day shipping option that allows me to order what I need and get it delivered in no time. Coleman is my one stop shop for all my tailgating and camping needs. They have everything from portable grills, canopy tents, coolers, chairs and more. Once the kids get a bit older I cannot wait to go on a real camping trip with them because I just know they would love it.
So tell me, are you looking forward to Fall? What are your favorite family traditions?