welcoming baby evelyn

It’s been a long time since I posted on here. I actually don’t think I posted at all about my pregnancy with baby #2 and truthfully, I can’t believe how fast that pregnancy came and went. And how she is 10 days old already?! I’ve been singing her abc kids songs already, even though she’s only 10 days old. But as we know, kids grow up so fast. Before we know it, she’ll be able to sing the songs back to me. It really has been a whirlwind, from the whole 39 weeks, going into labor early and now having her here with us.
{10 days old. 1.20.15}
Her birthday was originally set for January 13th with a repeat C section, however she decided to surprise us a few days early: Saturday, January 10th. That day we spent some family time (our last weekend as a family of just 3!) and tried to finish crossing off things to do around the house before baby joined us. We ran some errands and had a big yummy meal at Sweet Tomatoes. I had been having cramps for most of the day, but everything I read suggested they were not contractions. Plus my doctor didn’t think she would come early since Henry didn’t and I never labored with him. Later Saturday evening, my husband and I put Henry to bed around 7 and had dinner around 7:30 pm (not ideal for an unplanned C section since you are not supposed to have anything to eat 6 hours prior). At around 8:00pm, I am sitting on the couch when my water breaks. It literally felt like a hose attached to me and didn’t stop for the next hour and a half. Henry was asleep upstairs thankfully so we didn’t have to worry about running around like crazy people in front of him. I called my doctor and my mom and after throwing random crap into our suitcase and grabbing our sleeping toddler, we piled into the car and headed to the hospital. Every time I had a contraction, more water would “break”. Poor Henry was in the backseat half asleep and kept asking what was wrong. Jan kept telling him that we had to take mommy to the doctor to have the baby and Henry then asked me about 100 times if I needed to go get a shot.
When we arrived to the hospital my mom was already there to meet us (and luckily I had packed Henry’s bag earlier that day so he was all set). As I sat in a wheel chair getting checked in, my nerves started to set in. I was worried they wouldn’t be able to perform the C Section in time since I had just eaten and the last thing I wanted was a VBAC. Thankfully that was not the outcome. It seemed like we were the only people having a baby that night because the labor and delivery floor seemed empty and the nurses and doctors were moving fast. We got in a room about 9pm and she was born at 11:38pm. The only person we were waiting on was the anesthesiologist to administer and test out the epidural to make sure it was working. At one point the doctor even came in and asked the nurses what the hold up was. He probably wanted to get back to his Saturday night 🙂
The underlying nerves that I had throughout this whole pregnancy was the C Section. I was worried something would happen during surgery or that it wouldn’t go right but the doctor and his team were great and it felt like I was in the operating room for a shorter time than I was with Henry. Before I knew it I was being rolled into the recovery room to meet my new baby and see my husband.

The recovery in the hospital for this C Section was a lot harder this time around for me. I will spare all the details, but the first 3 days I could hardly sleep or move without being in so much pain. I am allergic to a lot of medicine so it was hard for the doctors to find what could work for me. They finally put me on dilaudid through my IV and then by pill.

{Snuggling in mama’s hospital bed on our last night there}
{Snuggling in mama’s hospital bed on our last night there}
{She was all pretty in pink leaving the hospital. Carseat Cover/ Kitten Doll}
We were able to have an early release on Wednesday morning and my mom met us at the hospital with Henry so we could come home as a family of four. I don’t think the dogs were too happy about being with out us since they welcomed us home with a big pile of shit in the kitchen (even though they have the best care taker ever). Unfortunately she has her days and nights mixed up and likes to stay up and party until 2am. So I have been getting about 4 hours of sleep or less at night which totally sucks but I know it’s only temporary and will soon pass. I am spending my days soaking up all her sweet baby-ness and trying my hardest to muster up some energy for Henry too. I still can’t lift him, which is so sad to me because he is constantly asking me to hold him. Hopefully he forgets that I haven’t been able to do as much with him these past few weeks and I can return to my old self soon!


  1. […] sitting up for the last week. When you finally came {read about Evelyn’s birth story here} I felt like I was watching a movie in slow motion. It was nearly midnight, you came early, fast […]

Copyright © 2024 · Theme by 17th Avenue

Copyright © 2024 · Amelia on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in